The MyDek Team answers the most googled questions about Aluminium Decking.
Q1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of Aluminium Decking?
Aluminium decking offers a suitable option for developers and architects following on from the ban on the use of combustible materials in external walls.
1. Aluminium decking is completely non-combustible.
2. It offers durability as it can withstand all climates and temperatures.
3. It is impervious to moisture, and therefore will not harbour mould.
4. Aluminium expands and contracts a lot less than other types of decking.
5. It has a service life 5-10 times longer than other decking types.
1. Aluminium decking can be noisier to walk on.
2. It can be more expensive to purchase than other types of decking.
Q2. Does Aluminium Decking get hot?
One of the most beneficial features of aluminium decking is that it can withstand all temperatures and climates, which offers a better overall experience for residents. Aluminium dissipates heat well, so stays cooler than composite alternatives in hot weather.
Q3. Is Aluminium Decking slip-resistant?
It depends on the way it is manufactured. Slip-resistance is dependent on the design of the decking. MyDek Aluminium Decking has is certified 'low risk' based on cretieria from the HSE, which means it offers high slip-resistance.
Q4. What is the difference between Aluminium Decking and Trex?
Trex is a kind of composite decking, made up of a mix of plastic and wood fibres. Aluminium decking, as the name suggests, is made of aluminium. While both are cost-effective and superior to wooden decking, there are a few notable differences between the two:
1. Composite decking can have a lower initial cost compared with aluminium decking
2. Aluminium decking is far longer-lasting compared to composite decking
3. Aluminium decking can resist twisting and warping, whereas other decking doesn't
4. Aluminium decking is considerably lighter than composite decking
5. Aluminium decking is non-combustible while composite decking is will burn
Q5. Can Aluminium Decking be used for balconies?
Yes, aluminium decking is a good choice for balconies. However, when specifying the product, it is crucial to ensure that it is rated to A1 or A2-s1,d0 to comply with legislation and provide an appropriate level of safety. Ask to see the company's EN13501 Classification Report for the product.
Q6. Is Aluminium Decking non-combustible?
Yes, aluminium decking is non-combustible. However, it is advisable to check its fire rating. In certain types of buildings, only non-combustible decking can be specified.
Q7. What is the difference between 'Fire Resistant' and 'Non-Combustible'?
Fire Resistant means that the product will help to slow down the spread of fire, for example, timber that has been treated with a fire retarant chemical might be more difficult to set alight.
Non-Combustible, on the other hand, means that the product will not burn at all and will never provide any contribution to a building fire. To be sure, always check products are A1 or A2 rated to EN13501 standard.