In the final instalment of our series on the newly introduced Planning Gateways, we take a closer look at Gateway 3, which marks the culmination of a construction project. Gateway 3 is centred on applying for a Completion Certificate, a pivotal step where the client verifies that the as-built structure complies with all relevant building regulations. In this blog post, the MyDek team explains the key elements of this gateway and what it entails for both the client and the regulatory process, and shares the various ways in which we can support our clients with this last Planning Gateway.
When a project is completed, the client must initiate an application for a Completion Certificate. To apply for this Completion Certificate, the client must submit a number of essential details about the applicant and the building, accompanied by a crucial statement affirming that the as-built structure adheres to all pertinent building regulations.
The application necessitates the inclusion of final drawings, along with the following agreed-upon documents:
- details about the applicant and the building and a statement that the building complies with all relevant building regulations
- final drawings for the building
- final agreed documents: a)Construction Control Plan , b)Change Control Plan , c) Mandatory Occurrence Reporting Plan , d) Building Regulations Compliance Statement, e) Fire and Emergency File
- a copy of the Change Control Log
- a Compliance Declaration signed by the principal contractor
- a Compliance Declaration signed by each principal designer
- confirmation that the information needed to manage the building safely has been provided to the relevant persons (Regulation 38).
Following the submission, the regulator is given an 8-week time frame to either approve or reject the application. During this period, consultations with the Fire Brigade and the Sewerage Authority are conducted, and a comprehensive inspection of the building is carried out by the regulator.
It is important to note that Gateway 3 specifically addresses the completion and compliance aspects of a project. Separate regulations govern the occupation phase, including the issuance of Building Assessment Certificates.
Our team at MyDek is well-equipped to support our clients through the process of applying for the Completion Certificate. We come from diverse backgrounds within the construction industry, which means that we bring a wealth of experience, creativity, and passion to the table in creating secure balconies and terraces that cater to your specific needs. We stay up to date with the latest regulations and can provide you with all the information you need to ensure that your decking specification adheres to the requirements set out in the three Gateways of the Building Safety Act.
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about our products and services, our team is always ready to help. You can reach us at [email protected].